Luxury vinyl flooring has gained popularity in the market for the past few years. Before you go and rush to purchase luxury vinyl for your house, you must first know the pros and cons of having it.
Luxury vinyl flooring or LVT is a kind of flooring that imitates the look and feel of either stone or wood flooring. It is easy to install plus it does not require the same degree of maintenance as other flooring does.
LVT is made up of 5 layers: polyurethane coating, wear layer, print film layer, vinyl core and tile backing.
Pros of LVT
If you require a hard surface, then luxury vinyl flooring is an option. It combines the benefits of hard flooring without being too expensive and without the need for high maintenance.
- Low maintenance. Unlike wood and stone that require special kinds of maintenance; luxury vinyl does not require any of those. It simply needs daily sweeping and mopping to ensure that dust and grime will not pile up on your floor. LVT also does not require waxing or polishing. If you are lucky, it may take 10 more years before a new wear layer needs to be applied.
- Various designs. LVT offers different patterns, designs and colours that will certainly suit your home interior and style. From light colours to dark ones, you will surely find the one that you like the most.
- Compared to stone and tile flooring, LVT is more budget friendly. Despite that, it is still durable and reliable, so you don’t have to worry about its quality.
Cons of LVT
- Cannot be repaired. Once it is ruined, you have to replace it. There is no repair method to return your luxury vinyl flooring back to its normal appearance.
- Health risks. When water is spilled on LVT, it may cause slips and falls since it cannot absorb the moisture immediately. Also, LVT can produce volatile organic compounds that may put your family’s health at risk.
- Shorter lifespan. Compared to wood and stone flooring, LVT has a shorter lifespan, but if well maintained, it will definitely last longer than expected. You have to make sure that you have protective pads for your furniture to ensure that it will not leave dents in your LVT.
- Requires proper installation preparation. Since LVT can be installed without the help of a professional, it is important to make sure that the surface where it will be laid is bump and dent free. Any bump or dent will eventually become visible through the vinyl.
- Expands and contracts. If there is a consistent change in temperature, your LVT may suffer from expansion and contraction. You have to make sure that it is installed in areas where the temperature is almost constant.
Before you decide whether you want to use luxury vinyl for your flooring, it is best to understand how it works. You can ask professionals or even friends who have been using this type of flooring, and from there, you can make a decision.